we provide everything you expect +more…
At Baby+Company, we make sure you have all the check-ups, prenatal testing, and ultrasounds you need. And we use the most up-to-date medical science and technology to do it.
But the focus of prenatal tests and check-ups is to look for problems. We want to do more than that.
We want do everything possible to make your pregnancy healthy, happy, and safe. So we dug into the research to design a whole-health approach to prenatal care that includes time to cover all the things that are proven to lead to great outcomes.
We created a center to talk about nutrition, fitness, sleep, and emotions. It’s a space where you can involve your family and develop supportive connections with skilled midwives and a community of expecting parents, too – a place where you can learn about the pros and cons of your options and take charge of your pregnancy decisions with confidence.
So, yes, we’ll be on the lookout for problems. And we’ll give you the tools and support you need to build a healthy future for your growing family – a future that starts with your prenatal care. We’d love to be part of it.
benefits for you and your baby…
Common sense says that your pregnancy and birth will be healthier if you feel less stressed and get more involved in your overall wellness. And research backs that up!
Studies shows that our style of midwife-led care – care that has lots of of opportunity for learning and involvement, group visits, and doctor care, if needed – has real health benefits for moms and babies, including:
- lower chance of anemia (low blood iron) during pregnancy
- lower chance of serious blood-pressure problems during pregnancy
- more chance of carrying your baby to full term
- lower chance of having a cesarean birth
But we don’t have to look at the research to know what works. Every day at Baby+Company, healthy babies and happy families are proving that the care that feels good really is good.
prenatal visits in 3 ‘flavors’
During pregnancy there’s a lot to learn and manage. 40 weeks can go fast!
But we’re on top of it.
We’ve planned a series of appointments that includes 3 different types of visits that address your needs as they change in each stage of pregnancy.
We’ll work with you to set up a flexible schedule of visits that fits your needs. And we’ll help you decide which of our optional classes are right for you.
Read on to find out what’s in store for you during each type of visit…
personalized care planning visits — 3 visits, 30 minutes each (read more)
Everyone is different. Your health history, work and home life, and dreams are all unique to you. Your prenatal care should be, too.
That’s why we have 3 visits to focus on mapping out your own plan for learning, support, and action. We’ll start by listening to your questions, concerns and goals. Then together, we’ll work on a plan to tackle the wellness issues that are most important to you.
At the end of each visit, we’ll come up with a to-do list of simple steps so you can keep yourself on track between visits. Each time you come in, we’ll go over your progress and adjust your plan as needed.
You can bring along your partner or anyone you wish to include in the discussion. And don’t worry about childcare. We welcome your kids to all of these care planning visits…
wellness planning visit — (early 2nd trimester)
- Before you come in, we’ll ask you to track your eating and exercise for 3 days. You might be surprised what you learn about yourself.
- We’ll talk about your nutrition, fitness, mood, and how you manage any stress in your life. This discussion will help you see what could be better. Then you’ll decide on your own wellness goals.
- We’ll work on a to-do list to meet your goals – small steps that you feel ready to take. Maybe you’ll decide to eat one more vegetable a day, sign up for a new fitness class or, or start using an app for relaxation and mindfulness.
Each item on your to-do list is a step toward a healthier you. And healthy families start with healthy moms. One day at a time, you’re doing this right!
preparing for childbirth and after — (late 2nd trimester)
- We’ll focus on a plan that helps you:
- stay healthy during the rest of your pregnancy
- prepare for labor and birth
- get ready to care for a newborn at home.
We’ll listen discuss which classes might be helpful along with other ways to prepare.
- This is the time to start imagining your labor and birth, so we’ll talk about your dreams and concerns. You will have lots of decisions to make so we will work on helping you get the information and support you will need to make those decisions.
- We’ll talk about where you want to have your baby — in our Baby+Company birth suites or at a partner hospital. We’ll go over the pros and cons of your choices to see which is the best match for your preferences and health. Then you can make an informed decision that’s right for you.
- We’ll talk about preparing for all the changes that come with a baby. How do couples get used to being a threesome? If you have children, how will you introduce a new sibling? A new baby is a new chapter in a family’s life and we want to help you get it off to a good start.
- As always, you’ll leave with a to-do list to help you follow up on your plan.
late pregnancy, birth and beyond — (37 weeks)
You’re at the homestretch now and we’re getting excited for you!
- Towards the end of pregnancy, you’ll have more frequent check-ups and tests to make sure you and your baby are well. During this last care planning visit, we’ll come up with a schedule of visits that’s right for you.
- Now is the time to finalize your labor and birth plan and share it with your team. We’ll confirm where you want to give birth – at our center or the hospital. And we’ll make a record of the things matter to you the most, like who is with you during birth.
- We’ll make sure you are as ready as possible to take your newborn home. Do you have your car seat and other things you’ll need right away? Are you set for support at home? Have you found your pediatrician? There’s a lot to get in order at this point, and the planning we’ve done over the past weeks will really pay off.
group visits — 3 visits, 60-90 minutes each (read more)
They say it takes a village to raise a child. A warm, supportive, group of expecting parents sure helps while you’re growing one, too! These visits are for you and your partner or support person.
There’s a group visit during each trimester of your pregnancy. Each group is usually about 8 to 12 people.
- This isn’t a class. It’s a conversation led by a midwife or other member of our team. The topics relate to your stage of pregnancy, such as coping with nausea, how to make good, informed decisions about things like genetic testing, and getting ready for birth and parenthood.
- Certain group visits include private one-on-one time with a midwife and a routine physical check-up.
why they’re so good…
- More learning. People in your group may share practical tips or ask important questions you hadn’t thought about or were too embarrassed to ask. You simply learn more in groups!
- Low chance of preterm births. Studies show that moms who participate in group prenatal visits have fewer preterm births. Researchers think it has to do with the support network families build through group care, and with the ability to get more education and support around topics like nutrition and self-care.
- Fewer worries. Sharing pregnancy experiences can help you realize that those odd cravings and weird sensations in your growing body are pretty normal after all! And less worry means less stress – and better health!
- More motivation to stick with healthy habits. Being part of a group can inspire you to work toward your health goals.
- Future family friendships. After the baby is born, you’ll be thrilled to have new friends who think good times together include diaper changes and feedings. Group visits often lead to supportive friendships that last long after the babies are born.
check-up/check-in visits — number of visits depends on your needs, 30-60 minutes each (read more)
You will begin your care with a complete health check up with a midwife and a full hour focused on your health and your questions. Later in your pregnancy, you will have a number of other individual visits with a midwife, including your personalized care planning visits and any more visits you need.
In addition to having personal attention to your health needs, you will also see these visits as a chance for you and your care team to get to know each other better. We often meet in one of our cozy birth suites. That way, if you choose to have your baby in our center, you’ll be in a familiar environment with people who really know you. Of course you can bring your kids, partner or anyone else you want to be involved to these visits. At Baby+Company, pregnancy is definitely a family affair!
- At your first visit, we’ll take a close look at your health history to identify anything that could affect your health risks during pregnancy. We’ll also do some lab tests and estimate your due date.
- At every visit, we’ll do a routine prenatal check-up. That includes measuring your growing belly, and listening to your baby’s heartbeat – everyone’s favorite part.
- And we’ll check-in to see how you’re doing with your to-do list from your last personalized care planning visit.
Curious about safety? Read up on the evidence showing impressive health outcomes at certified nurse-midwife-led birth centers.
stay in touch online…
We know things can come up between visits and we want to be there for you. You can always call us. We do like to hear from you. But we’ve also got a bunch of online options for staying in touch and getting the information you need when you need it.
video visits (read more)
When a phone call isn’t enough, you can reach us with TouchCare, a video call app. It’s a great way to get answers when:
- you have a cold, flu or other minor health problem
- you need assurance during early labor at full term
- you’re home with your newborn and have questions about breastfeeding or your own care
your electronic health record (read more)
We like technology at Baby+Co. – especially technology that gives you more control. So say goodbye to filling out forms on a clipboard!
We’ve got an app that lets you input all your health history from home before you come in for your first appointment.
You can log in at any time to see everything in your health record, including midwives’ notes, your vital signs and weight, lab results, and more.
Your online health record gives you another way to communicate with your midwife, too, and you can send a secure message from your health record to ask non-urgent questions whenever you wish.
health information you can trust (read more)
The Internet is loaded with information on pregnancy, labor and birth. But how do you know what’s really accurate?
As part of the Baby+Company community, you have access to a deep online library of information we’ve approved. It’s up-to-date, backed by evidence, and always growing.
So anytime a question pops into your head, you have a trusted place to go to find the answer.
your personal handbook
We love this feature of our care and think you will, too. The handbook helps you make the most of every prenatal visit.
Each section of the handbook is a guide to what happens at your next appointment. Before you come see us, you can read about what to expect. There are worksheets and forms that help you:
- organize information about how you’re feeling so you don’t forget anything you want to discuss when you meet with your midwife and other members of your care team
- think about what matters most to you before you make decisions about your care
- list the questions you want to ask
- keep your notes and To-Do Lists from each visit
We'd love to introduce you to our team and give you a tour of the center. Drop-in or call any time to schedule a visit.