If you’re pregnant or trying to conceive, you’re thinking about money and also about your baby’s health. Eating healthier doesn’t have to mean shelling out big bucks for organic groceries. Luckily when it comes to food and nutrition, a few basic changes will help you get healthier while saving you money at the same time.
- Buy fruits and veggies in season. At peak harvest season, the basic laws of supply and demand kick in — the price goes down because there’s so much of it to sell. It’s also packed with more nutrients — and more flavor — because it’s picked when it’s ripe. Freeze whatever you don’t use. Local farmer’s markets are a fabulous resource for this.
- Eat out less. We spend more and we usually eat more when we eat out (or take out). Restaurant food is often higher in calories, sodium, and unhealthy fats.
- Eat less meat. Meat and poultry can be part of a healthy diet, but in excess they can be unhealthy. Unhealthy fats and exposure to hormones and antibiotics used to raise meat can impact fertility and overall health. Our bodies are better off with more plant-based fats (nuts, avocado, coconut oil) and proteins (beans, quinoa, tofu), which are usually cheaper.
- Don’t shop when you’re hungry. Studies show that people who shop when they haven’t eaten buy more junk food and spend more on groceries. Believe it or not, you’ll spend more when you’re hungry even if you’re not shopping for food. The same part of our brains that craves food also craves that cute pair of shoes or that sweet but unnecessary decoration for baby’s nursery. Bottom line: have a snack before you head out to shop.
- Make foods from scratch. A lot of times, it’s just not that much harder to make something from scratch than to buy it in a bottle or box. And it can be cheaper and Salad dressing, iced tea, and pasta sauce are easy to make at home that tend to have less salt, sugar, and preservatives compared with what comes out of a package.
Well+Prepared is a pre-pregnancy program from Baby+Company. Get expert consultation, informative classes, and 1-on-1 coaching to help you conceive a healthy pregnancy. Well+Prepared is available in all Baby+Company centers. Find the center near you:
Sign up for a Well+Prepared Consultation and Coaching visit today to receive personalized weight recommendations and help achieving your nutrition and weight loss goals.